Being prepared for spring and summer pests, such as mosquitoes, animals, ticks, and flies, may significantly increase the amount of enjoyment you get out of spending time in the great outdoors. You do not need to be concerned since you are not alone; the knowledgeable staff at Pest Control In Aurora is available to assist you in getting ready.
Following extensive study, we have compiled a detailed list of the top 7 pests that are anticipated to be on the rise during the summer of 2022. This list will give an in-depth look at the effect that pests will have on your home or place of business, as well as easy-to-use prevention techniques to help you avoid having such problems in the first place.
- Pests of the Ground
- Carpenter Ants
- Bed Bugs
The Seven Most Popular Pests That Will Be Around in 2022
Why Are Mosquitoes Expected to Be Popular in the Future?
Warmer temperatures may cause snow to melt faster than usual during the winter of 2021, which might result in an increase in the number of standing water sources (such as puddles). This may lead to numerous types of mosquitoes reproducing, which can then lead to an increase in their activity level.
What Makes Mosquitoes Dangerous?
In addition, some mosquito species are able to transmit plasmodium, a pathogen that is responsible for malaria, West Nile virus, encephalitis virus’s complex, and filarial heartworm in dogs. Mosquito bites are excruciating and may induce inflammations that lead to secondary diseases
What Preventative Measures Can Be Taken Against Mosquitoes?
- Remove any and all pools of water that have formed around buildings and on the land.
- There are solutions available that are harmless for the environment and may be used to treat standing waters that cannot be eradicated. These treatments destroy the larvae before they can mature into adults.
- Trim back any tall vegetation.
- Storm drains and catch basins should be upgraded.
- When you go outside, make sure to use bug spray and wear protective gear.
Why Is It Anticipated That Ticks Will Be Popular?
Because to the relatively mild winter of 2021, fewer animal populations were affected. As the temperature outside rises, there may be an increase in the activity of animals, and as a consequence, ticks may transfer from their natural hosts to human hosts with greater frequency.
The warmer winter of 2021 also meant that a greater percentage of the tick population survived the milder circumstances, which implies there were more ticks to come into contact with. The incidence of Lyme disease is also more likely to occur across Canada since there are more ticks.
What is the Dangers Associated with Ticks?
Ticks are an important disease vector because they contain bacteria and viruses that are known to cause significant sickness in both people and animals. Ticks may transmit these pathogens to both species. These infections may include tularemia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and Lyme disease, all of which are transmitted by the deer tick, also known as the black-legged tick.
How can one protect themselves against ticks?
- Keep your lawn cut at all times.
- Get rid of all the dead leaves and weeds that have accumulated.
- Cut back the tree branches.
- Keep an eye on your pet’s behavior.
- When you are outside, be sure to dress appropriately, including putting on appropriate footwear.
3. Larvae of Ground Beetles
Why is it anticipated that ground beetles will become more popular?
Due to the mild winter of 2021, there were fewer overwintering pests, such as ground beetles, that were successfully controlled by natural means. It is anticipated that a population explosion will occur as a direct result of the continued growth of the winter population in 2022.
What Are the Dangers Associated with Ground Beetles?
Some ground beetles consume the seeds, shoots, and pollen of plants; in fact, some ground beetles even consume the seeds of corn, which can result in the loss of a harvest or crop yield. However, ground beetles that live in natural outdoor environments are actually beneficial insects. When present in sufficient numbers, ground beetles can become a bothersome pest that, when they enter residential or commercial properties, can raise concerns and even cause panic. In addition, certain species of ground beetle can produce secretions with an offensive smell.
What Preventative Measures Can Be Taken Against Ground Beetles?
- Maintain a safe distance between the building mulch and the foundation.
- Adjust or lessen the amount of outdoor lighting that is present on or around your property.
- Keep your yard clear of any clutter (stones, branches, leaves, etc.).
- To prevent pests from entering, cracks and crevices in the foundation, as well as areas around doors and windows, should be sealed.
Why Is It Anticipated That Flies Will Be Popular?
The mild winter of 2021 and the increased precipitation can create more moisture, which, when combined with the decomposition of organic and other plant materials, can provide ideal breeding areas for flies, allowing them to thrive and become more active.
What is the Dangers Associated with Flying?
Flies are capable of easily transmitting disease because they can move swiftly from decaying garbage that is contaminated with disease to exposed foods, food preparation surfaces, and utensils. The common house fly is linked to the transmission of more than one hundred different infectious diseases, including staphylococcus, E. coli, and shield. Because they enter buildings in large numbers or congregate on the surfaces of buildings as a mass, certain species of flies, such as non-biting midges, can be a nuisance to deal with.
How Can I Take Precautions Against Flies?
- Remove any debris from the drains and sink areas.
- Replace broken window and door screens.
- Reduce the amount of fully ripened fruits and vegetables that are present.
- Put the covers back on the trash cans.
- On the property, get rid of any excess moisture and organic matter that is rotting.
5. Carpenter Ants
What Are the Reasons Behind the Anticipated Rise of Carpenter Ants?
The mild winter of 2021 and the increased precipitation could lead to increased moisture around your property, which could possibly cause damage to structures due to moisture. These structures could include moisture-saturated, rotting wood structures that are located in your yard or connected to your house. This provides the perfect environment for carpenter ants to colonies and nest in. There is a possibility of an increase in the number of structures that become infested with carpenter ants due to the fact that these insects infest wood that has been damaged by moisture.
What is it About Carpenter Ants That Makes Them Dangerous?
If carpenter ants find their way inside your house, they will begin to gnaw on the wood, which will result in the destruction of structural as well as decorative components. Carpenter ants do not typically bite humans; however, their mandibles are capable of tearing through human skin, after which they spray the affected area with ant formic acid, causing it to burn.
What Preventative Measures Can Be Taken Against Carpenter Ants?
- Clear the area around the house of any wood debris.
- Remove wood piles from close proximity to buildings.
- Reduce the height of the surrounding trees and bushes.
6. Bed Bugs
Why Do Experts Believe That Bed Bugs Will Continue to Be Popular?
As a result of COVID-19 restrictions being eased across the entirety of Canada, more people are likely to begin taking vacations, whether it be travelling internationally or travelling within the country to visit loved ones. It is possible for bed bugs to hitch a ride on people’s belongings and then be brought back to their homes as a result of this. Because of this, there is a chance that bed bugs will make a comeback across the country.
What is the Dangers Associated with Bed Bugs?
Although bed bugs are not known to spread disease, the bites that they leave behind can be very irritating. Bed bugs are bloodsucking insects. Bed bug bites often result in itchy welts, which can sometimes lead to secondary infections. It can result in problems with one’s emotional well-being as well as their psychological and mental health. After being bitten by bed bugs, you may find red spots of faces matter on your bed sheets or pillowcases, but it can be extremely challenging to determine where the actual bugs are hiding. These pests also have a high rate of reproduction, as just a few bed bugs can quickly multiply into a population of several hundred within a single month.
What are some ways that bed bugs can be avoided?
- Travel with caution; bring only the essentials, use hard-sided suitcases, and thoroughly examine your hotel room before putting away your belongings.
- Maintain a regular cleaning schedule in the bedrooms, including using the vacuum.
- Bed bug encasements that have been verified to be effective should be used to protect mattresses and box springs.
- When looking for stains, use sheets of a light color.
- For preventative measures against bed bugs, you should get in touch with a provider of licensed pest control.
On a residential property, a swarm of wasps can be seen circling the nest.
Wasps are expected to be popular for a number of reasons.
Due to the mild winter of 2021, a greater number of fertilized wasp queens were able to survive. Because of the increased number of wasp queens that have been found to have survived, it is possible that this will lead to the establishment of additional wasp colonies all over Canada. As a result of this factor, the wasp population in some areas may experience a dramatic increase. [Case in point:]
What is the Dangers Associated with Wasps?
Wasps come in a wide variety of species, and many of them are very aggressive and will sting to protect their nests. Wasps, in contrast to bees, have the ability to deliver multiple stings, whereas bees can only do so once. Those who are allergic to the venom of the wasp run the risk of experiencing severe reactions if they are stung by a wasp.
Wasps can be prevented by taking the following steps.
- Caulk any openings that could lead to voids in the wall or baseboard, including cracks and crevices around windows and doors.
- Fix any issues with the door and window screens.
- Reduce the available sources of food.
- Immediately clean up any messes, including crumbs and spills.
- Put trash cans in a location further from the house.
- read more click